Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

November 29, 2010 - Mexico

I have to start off by saying that Thanksgiving just wasn't the same this year. But really I didn't have Thanksgiving. I started off by telling Elder Thomas (the other American) Happy Thanksgiving, but that's all there was. No turkey or gravy or anything. I think in the following year, I am going to cook for my companion, and we are going to have Thanksgiving dinner. I have a new companion. His name is Elder Muñoz. He is from The federal Distict of Mexico. (Mexico City). He is a recent convert of about 4 years, and he and his sister are the only members; but, oh man, does he know his scriptures and the gospel. We were talking one day about school. He went to high school at one of the LDS schools here in Mexico. One is in Mexico City and the other is in Chihuahua. I thought that Craig Richins went to the one in Chihuahua but turns out no. He was in the same classes as my companion. Small world no? In the states it is really easy to make a connection with members of the church from all over, but it turns out to be the same here. The school happens to be the same one that my previous companion attended as well.
 
My English is horrible. Maybe you can tell. It is a little easier when I am typing because I actually have time to think, but there are a few instances that I have had to talk in English and it just comes out in a jumble of words out of order. I especially have forgotten how to use all the weird little sayings that we have, and I have replaced them with Spanish phrases that are translated into English. It's frustrating but funny at the same time. I have been trying to help my companion learn English, but it's hard when I forget all the time. Its definitely weird.
 
I have only received 3 pieces of mail so far – one envelope from mom, one from a friend at BYU who got his mission call, and one from my great friend Ashley Matthews that got sent through the MTC. I love getting mail and hearing from everyone. I am trying to find a more efficient way of sending mail. I don't think anybody has. A sister in my ward offered me to send the mail for me seeing as we don't have a postal office in our zone.
 
I have been thinking about how fast time flies by as well. It is just crazy. I cannot believe that my sister Andraya is going to graduate. It just doesn't seem possible. Time here in the mission goes by faster than you could ever believe. I'm still in my first area, but tomorrow I finish up the 5th month of my mission. I'm almost a forth of the way done!!! That is insane!
 
Love always, 
Elder Aaron Oscar Foon-kay (how the Mexicans say it)

No comments:

Post a Comment